Tofu. Just the word invites debate. Brought up in a group, a chorus of “I love it” or “I hate it” ensues. It seems the humble soy bean curd, inexpensive, a powerhouse of nutrition, and easily adaptable is often misunderstood. Luckily, just one good experience can transform a hater to a lover! We invite you to try this recipe for “Tofu Eggless Salad” from PCC Markets in the Pacific Northwest.
The Good4All Experience encourages the practice of Meatless/Meatfree Monday. Why? Eating a more plant based diet is good for you AND good for the planet. Make this delicious salad for lunch and your week will be off to a healthy, delicious start!
- 7 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup reduced fat vegenaise
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 2 1/2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound extra firm organic tofu
- 1/4 bunch Italian Parsley coarsely chopped
- 1/4 bunch green onions, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- To toast sunflower seeds, preheat oven to 350 F. Spread seeds on a baking sheet and toast for 4-5 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk together Vegenaise, relish, vinegar, mustard, miso, nutritional yeast, turmeric, dill, salt, and pepper until dressing is blended.
- Drain and rinse tofu. Crumble it into a large bowl and mix with dressing using hands. (Clean hands!) A food processor will overtax the tofu.)
- Add parsley, green onions, carrots, red pepper, celery, and sunflower seeds; toss to combine.
- Serve with crackers or on lettuce. Enjoy!